You’re an experienced product manager, you want to be part of a company at the forefront of measuring public opinion, and you’re eager to improve the world by providing better data to leaders who will make the world more humane, scientific, and just.
Since 2017, we’ve been making it possible for forward thinking organizations and political candidates to quickly, affordably, and accurately measure public opinion online. Forward-thinking candidates, causes, cities, and companies use our data to understand people’s needs, improve messaging, and accomplish their goals.
Change Research’s work sits at the intersection of data, social science, governance, and politics. We strive to improve American democracy and people’s lives.
We value a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other. Our leadership team has a broad mix of professional backgrounds, from startups to political consulting, and from pure tech to Congressional staffing. We invite folks with different backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives. Black, Indigenous and people of color, LGBTQ+ people, women, veterans, and people living with disabilities are encouraged to apply. We are an equal opportunity employer. Join us.
About the role:
As our product manager, you will work closely with the engineering team — three engineers and one data scientist — that builds the software underlying our fast, affordable, accurate approach to polling. You will also speak with our clients to better understand how our product solves their challenges, and work closely with colleagues in sales and polling to understand their needs. You will play a key role in product and strategic decision making with other leaders at Change Research.
You are product-oriented, and you’re committed to taking on technical, product, and business challenges as we push the industry and the world to rethink what measuring public opinion means, and ramp up in the face of heavy demand for polling. You’re comfortable running meetings, getting feedback and ideas from multiple internal and external stakeholders, and collaborating across different teams within the company to get products built and out to the market.
Our engineering/product/data science team consists of people comfortable wearing multiple hats. We are full-stack developers (backend/frontend), “full-stack data” engineers (data pipelines and analytics and/or machine learning), data scientists, product people, and data analysts.
As our product manager, you will:
- Understand and Collaborate
- Spend time with both internal (survey data analysts, sales team members) and external (campaign managers, communications directors, city managers, managing directors) stakeholders to deeply understand the problems Change Research can help solve.
- Work with the heads of our two business units — Change Research Politics and Advocacy and Embold Research — to prioritize feature development, and understand what can most benefit each.
- Run standups and planning meetings.
- Coordinate with other leaders across the company on priorities.
- Work with our pollsters, data scientists, and leadership team to build out our product roadmap.
- Spec out internal tools that will make our pollsters more efficient.
- Spec out, design, and maintain dashboards for internal data consumption, and dashboards and data visualizations that help our clients understand our findings.
- Research and understand different dynamics and platforms for reaching potential survey respondents. You will develop a perspective on whether we should be hiring interns to go door to door to speak to voters (we’re pretty sure the answer on this one is “no”!)
- Own our internal dashboards in support of our metrics-driven culture.
- Dig into internal operational data; use it as a key driver of prioritization.
- Understand how our polling data is used by our clients to make strategic and tactical decisions
Through it all, you’ll listen, think, communicate and execute in a way that considers the company’s and customer’s process holistically. You are obsessed with results, quality, problem solving, and creativity. You are a team player who can lead and execute.
- 2+ years of product experience
- Strong interest in politics and civic engagement; previous experience helpful but not required
- Significant experience in analyzing data, whether as a product manager, an analyst, a pollster, or something else. SQL skills are a big plus.
- Strong communication skills
- Comfortable working with engineers
- Comfortable with some ambiguity and a willingness to iron out the missing details
- Enthusiastic and professional
- Startup-minded: you plug holes, get things done, and think of ways to improve systems
- Flexible with the ability to work with a variety of personalities and types of work
- Excited to be part of a team committed to making a difference in our country’s political climate
- Comfortable in a remote work environment
Compensation and work environment:
This position pays an annual salary of $85,000-120,000
We offer competitive salaries, plus company equity, a flexible paid time off program, health, dental, and vision insurance, and company holidays. Change Research is an equal opportunity employer with a team around the country. We offer a workplace that is both casual and professional, and a culture that is committed to learning, fun, and excellence.
This position is part of Change Research’s engineering, product, and data science team. We are simultaneously hiring a head of engineering and data science, to whom the product manager will report longer term.
How to apply:
Please attach a cover letter and resume to [email protected] with the subject line “[Your Name] / Product Manager”. And please let us know where you heard about us.