Candidate Viability Polling
Candidate Viability Polls from Change Research allow candidates, campaigns, and the organizations that support them to understand the state of the race, fundraise, and shape the narrative quickly and with minimal investment.
Each Viability Poll asks the same set of questions, while having answers that are specific to the election being polled. These structured polls offer several benefits:
- Actionable: We take our experience from hundreds of elections to deliver a questionnaire that shows you what to do at this early stage of the race.
- Affordable: Our streamlined approach puts affordable data in your hands early in the race, ensuring you start off on a strategic footing.
- Fast: We take the guesswork out of what to ask and how to ask it, meaning we can often start fielding the same day you come to us.
- Accurate: All of this is fueled by our proprietary methodology, Dynamic Online Sampling, which allows for accurate results no matter where in the country we’re polling.
Each viability poll follows the following template:
- 8 Standard demographic and party ID questions
- 1 Question about respondents’ top issues
- 1 Favorability battery about candidates, possible candidates, and other public figures and organizations
- 1 Vote likelihood question
- 1 Horse race question with the race’s top candidates
- 1 Question to test the impact of the top candidates’ biographies
- 1 Informed horse race question
The favorability battery, candidate names, and candidate biographies are specific to your race and geography.
The top issues favorability matrix can also be customized if desired.
You will receive a set of crosstabs, a toplines memo, and a brief overview of key findings.
Additional services such as a strategy memo, pollster readout, or a public-facing memo are available for an additional cost.
- You provide the following information:
- Basic information about the race (date, office, etc).
- The candidates you’d like to include in your horse race questions.
- A short biography about each of the above candidates (up to a maximum of three candidates).
- Any additional candidates, public officials, organizations, or groups that you’d like to include in the favorability matrix.
- Any issues that you would like to add to the standard battery of top issues.
- We will send you a survey draft for final approval.
- Once you approve the draft, we commonly complete fielding and send survey results in 3-5 days.
Prices for Candidate Viability Polls can start at as low as $6,000 for a general election. To learn more about pricing for your race, please fill out this form or reach out to [email protected].
A bulk discount is available if you are polling for multiple races.
If you are interested in a more in depth analysis of a race, the viability of a particular ballot measure, popularity of policy issues, message testing, or any other topic please fill out this form to learn more about our other polling and research options.